As a worker, 2% of your monthly salary must be contributed to UIF. Your employer must contribute 1% and you must contribute 1%. This should be deducted from your monthly salary, and should be reflected on your pay slip. Every employee has the right to a pay slip and a written contract. And failure to do so it is a null and void contract.
Who qualifies for unemployment insurance fund in South Africa?
When your employer terminates your service, you can apply to the Unemployment Fund (UIF) for benefits. The benefits are only available to you if you have been contributing to the UIF while you worked. You cannot claim if you have resigned, been suspended or absconded from work. Each side must work openly to meet the requirement for the qualification and is this done through advocacy session for employers.
How do I claim my unemployment insurance fund?
To claim unemployment benefits you need to have:
- A copy of 13-digit bar-coded identity document.
- A copy of your last six pay slips Information supplied by your employer (UI-19).
- A service certificate from the employer.
- Proof of registration as a work seeker.
- A fully completed registration form.
What are the qualifications and condition for UIF Maternity benefits
In order to get the UIF maternity benefits one should adhere to these
- The application should be made prior to the birth of the child or within twelve months of birth of the child
- The contributor must be receiving less than the normal remuneration whilst on maternity leave.
- Benefits are payable at flat rate of 66% to a female contributor, for confinement or the period after birth of a child
- Maternity benefit will be paid for a maximum of 121 days.
- In an event of miscarriage or a stillbirth, benefits are paid for maximum period of 121 days.
- A contributor must have been employed for at least 13 weeks before the date of application for maternity benefits
Requirement for UIF maternity benefits
- 1 digit bar coded/smart card RSA ID, passport or asylum seeker permit
- Banking details UI-2.8 form
- Declaration in respect of remuneration received whilst on maternity leave. A completed UI-2.7 form.
- The application UI-2.3 form.
- Doctor’s certificate for expected date of confinement or after childbirth, the birth certificate.
- Follow up UI-4 form will be issued.
How to check unemployment fund balance?
UIF online can be done through following these.
- Log onto www.ufiling.co.za.
- Click on check my balance.
- Follow the instructions as they appear on your screen.
UIF online-UIF online checker.
How do I deposit UIF in south Africa?
The deposit can be done through UIF contributions accounts by enclosing their correct UIF reference number as the reference of payments.
Using a correct UIF reference number will lead to correct update of employer’s records and direct the payments to its location. The banks down here will be of help when you want to do unemployment insurance fund payments.
BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER BRANCH CODE
ABSA 4055481885 323145
FNB; BUSINESS 51420056941 253145
FNB; DOMESTIC 62052400547 253145
NEDBANK 1454041560 145405
STANDARD 010032185 0045