Sleeping without light is an essential biological process that allows your body and mind to recharge, leaving you refreshed and alert when you wake up. Healthy sleep also helps the body remain healthy and stave off diseases. Without enough sleep, the brain cannot function properly.
Darkness is essential to sleep. The absence of light sends a critical signal to the body that it is time to rest. Light exposure at the wrong times alters the body’s internal “sleep clock” the biological mechanism that regulates sleep-wake cycles in ways that interfere with both the quantity and quality of sleep
- The body is able to produce a hormone (melatonin) in the body while asleep at night in the dark only.
- While sleeping in the dark the brain cells are able to rejuvenate back to their original state (cells which were damaged due to excessive sunlight and electricity) and function properly.
- A study shows that intelligent people all over the world do not sleep at night with light on.
- Sleeping in the dark or without light at night helps the body to fight insomnia.
- Melatonin decreases in the day time due to the presence of sunlight. Hence you should not allow light at night when the body is ready to produce it
- Melatonin tells us it’s time to sleep. Lack of it causes sleeplessness
- Sleeping without light at night make an individual look fresh, lives longer and looks younger all the time.
Managing your exposure to light in your home and in your bedroom is fundamental to creating a healthy sleep environment. With awareness, attention, and some simple planning, you can create a bedroom that guards against unwanted light at night, and protects the quality of your sleep until you are ready to wake. Curtains and shades on windows keep outside light from disturbing your sleep. Make sure window coverings are heavy enough to fully block light, and are well fitted to avoid slivers of streetlight or early morning sunlight from filtering in. Even brief exposure to light can interfere with sleep. Blackout curtains are designed to provide this kind of thorough protection against unwanted light.